Targeting sales of particular products during specific periods is a difficult and potential costly objective. This kind of focused approach requires meticulous planning and a highly skilled team that has bags of motivation in the face of a somewhat daunting challenge. To help your team tackle this and obtain results, it’s advisable to deploy useful tools or processes, such as an online recognition and loyalty program that can smooth the way and help to keep your salesforce on track. Combining tools like these with targets, trackers and themes can be even more effective, engaging with the workforce, maintaining motivation and helping to achieve objectives in a fun and interactive way.
Some top tips for successfully implementing a sales recognition initiative and getting your team involved are:
- Introduce an element of healthy competition. While the rewards themselves will be a definite inducement, salespeople tend to be competitive and this will help to give your program an edge.
- Ensure your targets are clear and obtainable throughout the project period to provide focus and elevate engagement levels, which will positively influence team activity.
- Use your selected rewards to encourage competitive spirit and teamwork to drive performance and sales for the duration of the promotion.
A particularly useful feature of a good recognition platform is a points banking system, which facilitates a simple structure for targets and sustains user-interest and involvement:
- Banking points for each and every sale keeps salespeople motivated to pursue every opportunity with enthusiasm. It prevents targets from appearing unachievable, as every deal contributes to their total and is therefore valuable.
- Accumulated points can be used to measure and reward team performance, as well as individual successes, providing an additional route to recognizing and motivating your salesforce.
- An ongoing log of sales enables you to set scheduled recognition points to maintain optimum engagement. This might be seller of the day or team of the week, whatever you consider to be relevant, and it allows you to publicly reward staff on a regular basis. It also involves ongoing monitoring and reporting, so it’s easy to measure the success of your project in process as well as on completion.
Sales recognition programs can be themed to inject a bit of fun and added interest into your promotional period:
- Seasonal themes are a popular choice, and perfectly suited to certain holidays, such as Christmas or Thanksgiving. These can adapt as the year passes, so that new topics are introduced at the relevant time, mixing it up and keeping it interesting for staff.
- Using an online sales recognition platform will keep the management of themed campaigns straightforward and budget-friendly; you simply need to amend the look and feel of your dashboard with the introduction of each new topic.
- Plan ahead and set designated timescales for every project, so that teams are clear on what is required when. This will allow the salesforce to plan activity within a given timeframe and work towards a set goal.
Measuring results as you go along will keep you informed of campaign progress, so you can maximize the most successful approaches and alter those that aren’t working so well:
- Tracking progress maintains momentum and facilitates a quick response to any areas requiring attention, be it a motivational email blast or an encouraging one-to-one with the boss.
- Ideally, any tracking should be interactive, so sales people are equally able to review progress and proactively address any issues. Monitoring how often teams are bothering to check their status is a great measure of engagement, and gives you another opportunity to send motivational communications or reminders of key messages while the project is in process.
Finally, an effective recognition and rewards tool should comprehensively manage a project from beginning to end, measuring sales and translating this to points for each employee:
- The collation of your data and the form it eventually takes is determined by you and your organization. Systems should complement your business needs, whether that is a regularly updated league table or a live feed that updates in real time or possibly a solution that incorporates multiple options.
- Whatever system you choose, the data should be accurate and visible to all parties for optimum efficiency, enabling salespeople to enter leads and management to monitor and log successes.
- This accessibility is the key to motivation. If teams can view their progress and management can monitor it, all parties will be fully engaged and keen to achieve. Sales teams will want to impress superiors and achieve the awards on offer, while managers will be keen to see and reward success and have easy access to data for reporting purposes.
To see the benefits of a recognition program, the platform you choose should work seamlessly with your organization and offer processes that complement your business model. It should require little effort from your team while generating significant results that benefit your business. You simply need to select the tool that best fits your needs to keep your sales team performing above and beyond expectations.